Granny hump and hunchback are terms to describe the abnormal hump just below the neck. This abnormal hump can cause decreased mood and confidence. For this article, we will call granny hump, Anterior Head Syndrome (AHS). AHS is usually the cause of a granny hump.
You’ve seen AHS at nursing homes, or your parents/grandparents may have one. Imagine going into an interview with a granny hump. You might feel less confident right? It’s similar to having a large zit on your nose during a cocktail party. You know it’s there, but it’ll continue to exist as is. It could be a confidence killer!
Like normal body temperature, weight, and blood pressure, you have normal spinal alignment. The presence of AHS confirms a spinal segment is a deviation from normal. Prolonged AHS and slumped shoulders cause spinal segments to shift from normal range causing dysfunction.
- Neck pain
- Shoulder pain
- Back pain
AHS will be more prevalent with kids and teenagers. You’ll see early stages of AHS in junior high school. As a Structural Correction chiropractor, the increased prevalence is unacceptable. Luckily AHS can be prevented and improved.
Poor Habits Causing a Anterior Head Syndrome/Granny Hump
- Jobs requiring us to lean forward and slump our shoulders
- Similar to lifting weights, the more frequent the workouts, the more noticeable the muscles. If poor habits continue, a hump will be more noticeable.
- Reading books and doing school work on a desk
- Do your kids take tests? I hope they do! Whether on paper or computer screen, prolonged hunching over will cause forward head movement. Add the next habit and you’re looking at trouble!
- Looking at smartphones and tablets
- Using a smartphone causes the neck to flex forward, shifting spinal segments from normal position.
Diagnosing Anterior Head Syndrome/ Granny Hump
- Spinal x-rays are the gold standard in diagnosing AHS. A Structural Correction Chiropractor will take measurements to see the true deviation of spinal segments
- Using a Structural Grid coupled with Digital Assessment will aid in the diagnosis of AHS
Preventing and Improving Anterior Head Syndrome/ Granny Hump
- First, proper analysis is needed to diagnose AHS. You wouldn’t get radiation treatment without having an exam for cancer, right?
- Addressing poor habits with ergonomic recommendations
- A Structural Correction chiropractor will customize Structural Rehab to target problem areas seen on the analysis/exam
For more information about Structural Chiropractic in Birmingham, Alabama, click here.
For more health news, click here.