We have made it to the new year, and some may be thinking it’s time to start a new year’s resolution. Resolutions are great. They can be fun, unless your giving up dark chocolate or nachos. I feel sorry for you if that’s the case. If you’re not giving up chocolate or nachos, but instead are trying to train or work out more, then continue reading. When I work out, I want to gain as much benefit from one singular exercise. Therefore, I want to engage as many large muscle groups as possible. These four exercises accomplish that goal. You can do these exercises at home when the gym gets crowded early in the year.
- Lunge Thrusters
- I learned this exercise from a fellow chiropractor, Dr. Tommy John.
- If doing the exercise correctly, your calf, quad, and hamstring of the front leg should be engaged . Your hamstring and glut of your back leg should be engaged too.
- Step 1 start in a lunge position (Front thigh parallel to floor)
- Step 2 extend your back leg straight (modified lunge position)
- Step 3 from modified lunge position engage both forefeet (ball of foot) and jump vertical an inch while keeping your modified lunge pose
- It’s important to keep the modified lunge pose. Do not use your trunk or shoulders to help propel upwards.
- If lunge thrusters are too strenuous, start with regular lunges first.
- 3 sets 15-20 reps
- Front Squats with light weight
- Do you have a can of soup or carton of orange juice? Use that or any weighted object.
- This exercise will utilize your core and lower back muscles as well as you legs.
- Step 1 position weight 12″ from your chest
- Step 2 squat
- Make sure your lower back is straight not curved when doing this exercise.
- 3 sets 15-20 reps
- Slow Push-up
- This exercise is as easy as it sounds.
- It’s a regular push-up, but the focus is on the when going down.
- Step 1 From the top of your push-up position take 5-10 seconds going down towards the floor
- Step 2 Push-up!
- On the descent, it’s important to exhale.
- The goal is to go as slow as possible. Try for a 20 second descent if you can.
- 3 sets 5 reps
Now you don’t have an excuse for not exercising! As always drink plenty of water, and follow proper technique when doing any kind of exercise. Not only will you prevent injury, you’ll optimize your work-out.
For more information about Structural Chiropractic in Birmingham, Alabama, click here.
For more health news, click here.